• Les garanties PROVENCEPASS :
  • Les meilleures
    attractions de Provence

    Visites, loisirs, sorties
  • Prix en ligne
    le plus bas

    Meilleure offre Internet !
  • Réservation simple
    et rapide de tickets

    Paiements sécurisés

    Alpilles

    Excavations of ancient Glanum

    Catégorie : Étiquettes : ,

    Adresse

    Ville

    Saint-Rémy-de-Provence

    Site web

    http://glanum.monuments-nationaux.fr/

    Geolocalisation


    Description

    Het Oppidum Salyen (Glanum) De eerste inwoners installeren zich in de 17e en 16e eeuw voor Christus, in de beschutting van een stadswal uit gedroogde steen die de weg van de Alpilles afsluit over en lengte van 300 m. Stukken aardewerk en munten die als offerande in de aven bovenaan de bron gegooid werden, zijn stille getuigen van de religieuze motivatie, van bij de oorsprong, van deze Gallische nederzetting. In deze beroemde en geneeskrachtige bronnen wonen de Keltische god Glan, en zijn heilzame metgezellinnen, de Glanische Moeders, aan wie de inwoners hun naam te danken hebben. De relatie met de Griekse wereld zorgden er vervolgens voor dat de Glaniërs een welvaart opbouwen die zich in de 2e en 1e eeuw voor Christus vertaalt in een uitbreiding van de woonzone en de constructie van bouwwerken in Hellenistische stijl. Daarna, tijdens de allereerste jaren van de heerschappij van Augustus (63 voor Christus – 14 voor Christus) wordt Glanum een Romeinse kolonie. Deze gebeurtenis ligt aan de basis van de snelle en grote verandering van het monumentale urbanisme van de stad. Uiteindelijk moet ze het hoofd bieden aan de Alemannische invasies van het jaar 260 en haar inwoners zwerven uit naar de nabije agglomeratie die in de tijd van de Merovingen bezit zal worden van de Saint-Remi-abdij van Reims. In 1921 geeft Jules Formigé, architect voor historische monumenten, het startschot voor systematieke opgravingen. Onder de verantwoordelijkheid van deze laatste leidt Pierre de Brun de werken gedurende twintig jaar; hij legt de omgeving van de basiliek bloot, de woningen van de noordelijke wijk en de termen. Hij wordt van 1941 tot 1969 opgevolgd door Henri Rolland. Sinds 1983 werden de opgravingen en het onderzoek hernomen waardoor men een betere kennis heeft over de stadswallen en de zogenaamde “tweelingtempels”. Een studie van deze laatste heeft in 1992 geleid tot een reconstructie van de hoek van de kleinste van de twee tempels. Onder het Romeinse forum werden ook Hellenistische overblijfsels teruggevonden. In 2007 begon men met de reconstructie en koos men ervoor om de configuratie van het einde van de 1e eeuw voor Christus weer te geven. Dankzij twee “archeologische ramen” in de grond kan men delen zien uit de voorgaande tijdperken: de dromosputten en het hellenistische plein in trapeziumvorm.


    informations pratiques

    Prix plein tarif

    7,50

    Informations tarif

    Full price : 7,5 € / Reduced price: 6 €

    Avis (0)

    Avis


    Il n’y pas encore d’avis.

    Be the first to review “Excavations of ancient Glanum”


      Alpilles

      Excavations of ancient Glanum

      Catégorie : Étiquettes : ,

      Adresse

      Ville

      Saint-Rémy-de-Provence

      Site web

      http://glanum.monuments-nationaux.fr/

      Geolocalisation


      Description

      Known as ‘Les Antiques’, this is the most important site from Gallia Narbonensis. From the 16th century onwards, Les Antiques became an essential visit for scholars and travellers. This monumental ensemble, consisting of a triumphal arch and a mausoleum*, was the only visible reminder at the time of the town of Glanum. In the 17th and 18th centuries, increasing numbers of artefacts were discovered in the vicinity of Les Antiques. The first inhabitants settled here in the 6th and 7th centuries BC in the shelter of a dry-stone rampart that blocked the road to the Alpilles over a length of 300 m. Pottery and coins thrown as offerings into the swallow hole* above the spring indicate that the Gaulish settlement was motivated by religious reasons from its origin. A Celtic god, Glan, together with his benevolent companions known as the Glanic Mothers, lived in the waters that were thought to have healing properties, and which gave their name to the local inhabitants. Later relations with the Greek world brought wealth to the people of Glanum, resulting in the development of the inhabited area and the construction of Hellenistic-style* buildings in the 1st and 2nd centuries BC. Glanum subsequently became a Roman colony in the early years of Augustus’s reign (63 BC – 14 AD). This resulted in the rapid and profound transformation of the city’s monumental architecture. Finally, unable to resist the Alamannic invasions in 260 AD, the town was abandoned by its inhabitants in favour of the nearby settlement that came into the possession of the Abbey of St Remi in Reims in the Merovingian period. In 1921 systematic archaeological digs were carried out on the site on the initiative of Jules Formigé, the architect for historical monuments. Under his authority, Pierre de Brun oversaw the work for twenty years, unearthing the area around the basilica,* the houses in the northern quarter and the thermal baths. Henri Rolland succeeded de Brun from 1941 to 1969. The digs and research began again in 1983, yielding better knowledge about the ramparts and twin temples in particular. Study of the temples resulted in the restoration of a corner of the smaller of the two in 1992. Hellenistic* remains have also been discovered under the Roman forum. Restoration began in 2007, with the decision to adopt the layout of the late 1st century BC. Two ‘archaeological windows – openings in the ground – allow elements from earlier periods to be observed: the dromos well and the Hellenic* trapezoid square.Known as ‘Les Antiques’, this is the most important site from Gallia Narbonensis. From the 16th century onwards, Les Antiques became an essential visit for scholars and travellers. This monumental ensemble, consisting of a triumphal arch and a mausoleum*, was the only visible reminder at the time of the town of Glanum. In the 17th and 18th centuries, increasing numbers of artefacts were discovered in the vicinity of Les Antiques. The first inhabitants settled here in the 6th and 7th centuries BC in the shelter of a dry-stone rampart that blocked the road to the Alpilles over a length of 300 m. Pottery and coins thrown as offerings into the swallow hole* above the spring indicate that the Gaulish settlement was motivated by religious reasons from its origin. A Celtic god, Glan, together with his benevolent companions known as the Glanic Mothers, lived in the waters that were thought to have healing properties, and which gave their name to the local inhabitants. Later relations with the Greek world brought wealth to the people of Glanum, resulting in the development of the inhabited area and the construction of Hellenistic-style* buildings in the 1st and 2nd centuries BC. Glanum subsequently became a Roman colony in the early years of Augustus’s reign (63 BC – 14 AD). This resulted in the rapid and profound transformation of the city’s monumental architecture. Finally, unable to resist the Alamannic invasions in 260 AD, the town was abandoned by its inhabitants in favour of the nearby settlement that came into the possession of the Abbey of St Remi in Reims in the Merovingian period. In 1921 systematic archaeological digs were carried out on the site on the initiative of Jules Formigé, the architect for historical monuments. Under his authority, Pierre de Brun oversaw the work for twenty years, unearthing the area around the basilica,* the houses in the northern quarter and the thermal baths. Henri Rolland succeeded de Brun from 1941 to 1969. The digs and research began again in 1983, yielding better knowledge about the ramparts and twin temples in particular. Study of the temples resulted in the restoration of a corner of the smaller of the two in 1992. Hellenistic* remains have also been discovered under the Roman forum. Restoration began in 2007, with the decision to adopt the layout of the late 1st century BC. Two ‘archaeological windows – openings in the ground – allow elements from earlier periods to be observed: the dromos well and the Hellenic* trapezoid square.Known as ‘Les Antiques’, this is the most important site from Gallia Narbonensis. From the 16th century onwards, Les Antiques became an essential visit for scholars and travellers. This monumental ensemble, consisting of a triumphal arch and a mausoleum*, was the only visible reminder at the time of the town of Glanum. In the 17th and 18th centuries, increasing numbers of artefacts were discovered in the vicinity of Les Antiques. The first inhabitants settled here in the 6th and 7th centuries BC in the shelter of a dry-stone rampart that blocked the road to the Alpilles over a length of 300 m. Pottery and coins thrown as offerings into the swallow hole* above the spring indicate that the Gaulish settlement was motivated by religious reasons from its origin. A Celtic god, Glan, together with his benevolent companions known as the Glanic Mothers, lived in the waters that were thought to have healing properties, and which gave their name to the local inhabitants. Later relations with the Greek world brought wealth to the people of Glanum, resulting in the development of the inhabited area and the construction of Hellenistic-style* buildings in the 1st and 2nd centuries BC. Glanum subsequently became a Roman colony in the early years of Augustus’s reign (63 BC – 14 AD). This resulted in the rapid and profound transformation of the city’s monumental architecture. Finally, unable to resist the Alamannic invasions in 260 AD, the town was abandoned by its inhabitants in favour of the nearby settlement that came into the possession of the Abbey of St Remi in Reims in the Merovingian period. In 1921 systematic archaeological digs were carried out on the site on the initiative of Jules Formigé, the architect for historical monuments. Under his authority, Pierre de Brun oversaw the work for twenty years, unearthing the area around the basilica,* the houses in the northern quarter and the thermal baths. Henri Rolland succeeded de Brun from 1941 to 1969. The digs and research began again in 1983, yielding better knowledge about the ramparts and twin temples in particular. Study of the temples resulted in the restoration of a corner of the smaller of the two in 1992. Hellenistic* remains have also been discovered under the Roman forum. Restoration began in 2007, with the decision to adopt the layout of the late 1st century BC. Two ‘archaeological windows – openings in the ground – allow elements from earlier periods to be observed: the dromos well and the Hellenic* trapezoid square.Known as ‘Les Antiques’, this is the most important site from Gallia Narbonensis. From the 16th century onwards, Les Antiques became an essential visit for scholars and travellers. This monumental ensemble, consisting of a triumphal arch and a mausoleum*, was the only visible reminder at the time of the town of Glanum. In the 17th and 18th centuries, increasing numbers of artefacts were discovered in the vicinity of Les Antiques. The first inhabitants settled here in the 6th and 7th centuries BC in the shelter of a dry-stone rampart that blocked the road to the Alpilles over a length of 300 m. Pottery and coins thrown as offerings into the swallow hole* above the spring indicate that the Gaulish settlement was motivated by religious reasons from its origin. A Celtic god, Glan, together with his benevolent companions known as the Glanic Mothers, lived in the waters that were thought to have healing properties, and which gave their name to the local inhabitants. Later relations with the Greek world brought wealth to the people of Glanum, resulting in the development of the inhabited area and the construction of Hellenistic-style* buildings in the 1st and 2nd centuries BC. Glanum subsequently became a Roman colony in the early years of Augustus’s reign (63 BC – 14 AD). This resulted in the rapid and profound transformation of the city’s monumental architecture. Finally, unable to resist the Alamannic invasions in 260 AD, the town was abandoned by its inhabitants in favour of the nearby settlement that came into the possession of the Abbey of St Remi in Reims in the Merovingian period. In 1921 systematic archaeological digs were carried out on the site on the initiative of Jules Formigé, the architect for historical monuments. Under his authority, Pierre de Brun oversaw the work for twenty years, unearthing the area around the basilica,* the houses in the northern quarter and the thermal baths. Henri Rolland succeeded de Brun from 1941 to 1969. The digs and research began again in 1983, yielding better knowledge about the ramparts and twin temples in particular. Study of the temples resulted in the restoration of a corner of the smaller of the two in 1992. Hellenistic* remains have also been discovered under the Roman forum. Restoration began in 2007, with the decision to adopt the layout of the late 1st century BC. Two ‘archaeological windows – openings in the ground – allow elements from earlier periods to be observed: the dromos well and the Hellenic* trapezoid square.Known as ‘Les Antiques’, this is the most important site from Gallia Narbonensis. From the 16th century onwards, Les Antiques became an essential visit for scholars and travellers. This monumental ensemble, consisting of a triumphal arch and a mausoleum*, was the only visible reminder at the time of the town of Glanum. In the 17th and 18th centuries, increasing numbers of artefacts were discovered in the vicinity of Les Antiques. The first inhabitants settled here in the 6th and 7th centuries BC in the shelter of a dry-stone rampart that blocked the road to the Alpilles over a length of 300 m. Pottery and coins thrown as offerings into the swallow hole* above the spring indicate that the Gaulish settlement was motivated by religious reasons from its origin. A Celtic god, Glan, together with his benevolent companions known as the Glanic Mothers, lived in the waters that were thought to have healing properties, and which gave their name to the local inhabitants. Later relations with the Greek world brought wealth to the people of Glanum, resulting in the development of the inhabited area and the construction of Hellenistic-style* buildings in the 1st and 2nd centuries BC. Glanum subsequently became a Roman colony in the early years of Augustus’s reign (63 BC – 14 AD). This resulted in the rapid and profound transformation of the city’s monumental architecture. Finally, unable to resist the Alamannic invasions in 260 AD, the town was abandoned by its inhabitants in favour of the nearby settlement that came into the possession of the Abbey of St Remi in Reims in the Merovingian period. In 1921 systematic archaeological digs were carried out on the site on the initiative of Jules Formigé, the architect for historical monuments. Under his authority, Pierre de Brun oversaw the work for twenty years, unearthing the area around the basilica,* the houses in the northern quarter and the thermal baths. Henri Rolland succeeded de Brun from 1941 to 1969. The digs and research began again in 1983, yielding better knowledge about the ramparts and twin temples in particular. Study of the temples resulted in the restoration of a corner of the smaller of the two in 1992. Hellenistic* remains have also been discovered under the Roman forum. Restoration began in 2007, with the decision to adopt the layout of the late 1st century BC. Two ‘archaeological windows – openings in the ground – allow elements from earlier periods to be observed: the dromos well and the Hellenic* trapezoid square.Known as ‘Les Antiques’, this is the most important site from Gallia Narbonensis. From the 16th century onwards, Les Antiques became an essential visit for scholars and travellers. This monumental ensemble, consisting of a triumphal arch and a mausoleum*, was the only visible reminder at the time of the town of Glanum. In the 17th and 18th centuries, increasing numbers of artefacts were discovered in the vicinity of Les Antiques. The first inhabitants settled here in the 6th and 7th centuries BC in the shelter of a dry-stone rampart that blocked the road to the Alpilles over a length of 300 m. Pottery and coins thrown as offerings into the swallow hole* above the spring indicate that the Gaulish settlement was motivated by religious reasons from its origin. A Celtic god, Glan, together with his benevolent companions known as the Glanic Mothers, lived in the waters that were thought to have healing properties, and which gave their name to the local inhabitants. Later relations with the Greek world brought wealth to the people of Glanum, resulting in the development of the inhabited area and the construction of Hellenistic-style* buildings in the 1st and 2nd centuries BC. Glanum subsequently became a Roman colony in the early years of Augustus’s reign (63 BC – 14 AD). This resulted in the rapid and profound transformation of the city’s monumental architecture. Finally, unable to resist the Alamannic invasions in 260 AD, the town was abandoned by its inhabitants in favour of the nearby settlement that came into the possession of the Abbey of St Remi in Reims in the Merovingian period. In 1921 systematic archaeological digs were carried out on the site on the initiative of Jules Formigé, the architect for historical monuments. Under his authority, Pierre de Brun oversaw the work for twenty years, unearthing the area around the basilica,* the houses in the northern quarter and the thermal baths. Henri Rolland succeeded de Brun from 1941 to 1969. The digs and research began again in 1983, yielding better knowledge about the ramparts and twin temples in particular. Study of the temples resulted in the restoration of a corner of the smaller of the two in 1992. Hellenistic* remains have also been discovered under the Roman forum. Restoration began in 2007, with the decision to adopt the layout of the late 1st century BC. Two ‘archaeological windows – openings in the ground – allow elements from earlier periods to be observed: the dromos well and the Hellenic* trapezoid square.Known as ‘Les Antiques’, this is the most important site from Gallia Narbonensis. From the 16th century onwards, Les Antiques became an essential visit for scholars and travellers. This monumental ensemble, consisting of a triumphal arch and a mausoleum*, was the only visible reminder at the time of the town of Glanum. In the 17th and 18th centuries, increasing numbers of artefacts were discovered in the vicinity of Les Antiques. The first inhabitants settled here in the 6th and 7th centuries BC in the shelter of a dry-stone rampart that blocked the road to the Alpilles over a length of 300 m. Pottery and coins thrown as offerings into the swallow hole* above the spring indicate that the Gaulish settlement was motivated by religious reasons from its origin. A Celtic god, Glan, together with his benevolent companions known as the Glanic Mothers, lived in the waters that were thought to have healing properties, and which gave their name to the local inhabitants. Later relations with the Greek world brought wealth to the people of Glanum, resulting in the development of the inhabited area and the construction of Hellenistic-style* buildings in the 1st and 2nd centuries BC. Glanum subsequently became a Roman colony in the early years of Augustus’s reign (63 BC – 14 AD). This resulted in the rapid and profound transformation of the city’s monumental architecture. Finally, unable to resist the Alamannic invasions in 260 AD, the town was abandoned by its inhabitants in favour of the nearby settlement that came into the possession of the Abbey of St Remi in Reims in the Merovingian period. In 1921 systematic archaeological digs were carried out on the site on the initiative of Jules Formigé, the architect for historical monuments. Under his authority, Pierre de Brun oversaw the work for twenty years, unearthing the area around the basilica,* the houses in the northern quarter and the thermal baths. Henri Rolland succeeded de Brun from 1941 to 1969. The digs and research began again in 1983, yielding better knowledge about the ramparts and twin temples in particular. Study of the temples resulted in the restoration of a corner of the smaller of the two in 1992. Hellenistic* remains have also been discovered under the Roman forum. Restoration began in 2007, with the decision to adopt the layout of the late 1st century BC. Two ‘archaeological windows – openings in the ground – allow elements from earlier periods to be observed: the dromos well and the Hellenic* trapezoid square.Known as ‘Les Antiques’, this is the most important site from Gallia Narbonensis. From the 16th century onwards, Les Antiques became an essential visit for scholars and travellers. This monumental ensemble, consisting of a triumphal arch and a mausoleum*, was the only visible reminder at the time of the town of Glanum. In the 17th and 18th centuries, increasing numbers of artefacts were discovered in the vicinity of Les Antiques. The first inhabitants settled here in the 6th and 7th centuries BC in the shelter of a dry-stone rampart that blocked the road to the Alpilles over a length of 300 m. Pottery and coins thrown as offerings into the swallow hole* above the spring indicate that the Gaulish settlement was motivated by religious reasons from its origin. A Celtic god, Glan, together with his benevolent companions known as the Glanic Mothers, lived in the waters that were thought to have healing properties, and which gave their name to the local inhabitants. Later relations with the Greek world brought wealth to the people of Glanum, resulting in the development of the inhabited area and the construction of Hellenistic-style* buildings in the 1st and 2nd centuries BC. Glanum subsequently became a Roman colony in the early years of Augustus’s reign (63 BC – 14 AD). This resulted in the rapid and profound transformation of the city’s monumental architecture. Finally, unable to resist the Alamannic invasions in 260 AD, the town was abandoned by its inhabitants in favour of the nearby settlement that came into the possession of the Abbey of St Remi in Reims in the Merovingian period. In 1921 systematic archaeological digs were carried out on the site on the initiative of Jules Formigé, the architect for historical monuments. Under his authority, Pierre de Brun oversaw the work for twenty years, unearthing the area around the basilica,* the houses in the northern quarter and the thermal baths. Henri Rolland succeeded de Brun from 1941 to 1969. The digs and research began again in 1983, yielding better knowledge about the ramparts and twin temples in particular. Study of the temples resulted in the restoration of a corner of the smaller of the two in 1992. Hellenistic* remains have also been discovered under the Roman forum. Restoration began in 2007, with the decision to adopt the layout of the late 1st century BC. Two ‘archaeological windows – openings in the ground – allow elements from earlier periods to be observed: the dromos well and the Hellenic* trapezoid square.


      informations pratiques

      Prix plein tarif

      7,50

      Informations tarif

      Full price : 7,5 € / Reduced price: 6 €

      Avis (0)

      Avis


      Il n’y pas encore d’avis.

      Be the first to review “Excavations of ancient Glanum”