• Les garanties PROVENCEPASS :
  • Les meilleures
    attractions de Provence

    Visites, loisirs, sorties
  • Prix en ligne
    le plus bas

    Meilleure offre Internet !
  • Réservation simple
    et rapide de tickets

    Paiements sécurisés

    Alpilles

    Saint Gabriel de Tarascon Chapel

    Catégorie : Étiquette :

    Adresse

    Ville

    Tarascon

    Geolocalisation


    Description

    Deze kapel uit de 12e eeuw vormt één van de mooiste voorbeelden van de romaanse kunst van de Provence die geïnspireerd is op de Antieke Oudheid en ze maakt deel uit van de eerste lijst van historische monumenten van Frankrijk. Het was Prosper Mérimée, de toenmalige hoofdopzichter van de “Monuments Historiques” (de historische monumenten), die het gebouw voorstelde, samen met het klooster Saint-Trophime in Arles. Architecturale studies wijzen op het verwantschap in architectuur en sculptuur van de kapel met de noordelijke galerij van het klooster Saint-Trophime in Arles, dat opgetrokken werd in 1170, en de westelijke poort van de kathedraal Notre-Dame de Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux, gebouwd in 1180. De Saint-Gabriel-kapel werd dus vermoedelijk gesticht rond 1175. De gevel van de kapel bestaat uit een vrij complexe structuur: een eerste poort met een bewerkte boogtrommel is opgenomen in een tweede poort met een geveldriehoek in antieke stijl. Deze dubbele poort zelf is ondergebracht onder een volledig gewelfde ontlastingsboog die op zijn beurt gevestigd is onder een spitsboog met een oculus (rond venster) omgeven door de tetramorf (symbolische afbeelding). Deze gevel toont een overdadige decoratie geïnspireerd op de antieke oudheid met zuilen waarvan de kapitelen versierd zijn met berenklauwbladeren. De Saint-Gabriel-kapel praalt ook met puur romaanse sculpturen zoals de boogtrommel van de eerste poort die een afbeelding vertoont van Daniel in de leeuwenkuil (links) en van Adam en Eva rond de Boom van de kennis van goed en kwaad omringd door de Slang (rechts). Na het licht en de rijke decoratie van de poort volgt duisternis en eenvoud. De kapel bestaat uit één enkele rechthoekige beuk, verdeeld in drie traveeën die overwelfd zijn door een tonggewelf dat gescheiden wordt door gordelbogen met dubbele uitsprongen. Deze worden gedragen door stijlen die tot aan de grond reiken. Tijdens het Romeinse tijdperk kwamen op deze plaats twee belangrijke takken van de Heracles-weg samen. Éen van die wegen, de Via Domitia, volgde de Durance die hij overstak bij Cavaillon door het noorden van de Alpilles en passeerde Glanum (het huidige Saint-Rémy de Provence) en daarna Ernaginum. De andere kwam van de kust, passeerde de vlakte van de Crau en vormde ook de noordelijke tak van de Via Aurelia die van Aix-en-Provence kwam. De weg kwam uit bij een belangrijke moeraszone vóór Saint-Gabriel. Een derde baan verbond Avignon en Arles. De doortocht op deze moerasweg eiste een interventie van de utriculari of transporteurs om de oversteek van personen en goederen te garanderen, waardoor deze plaats een belangrijke agglomeratie werd in de antieke oudheid. Wanneer het moeras geleidelijk begint uit te drogen, betekent dit het verval van deze gemeenschap.


    informations pratiques

    Informations tarif

    gratis

    Avis (0)

    Avis


    Il n’y pas encore d’avis.

    Be the first to review “Saint Gabriel de Tarascon Chapel”


      Alpilles

      Saint Gabriel de Tarascon Chapel

      Catégorie : Étiquette :

      Adresse

      Ville

      Tarascon

      Geolocalisation


      Description

      Chapel of St Gabriel This 12th-century chapel is one of the finest examples of Provençal Romanesque art inspired by antiquity. It was included in the first-ever list of French Historic Monuments at the suggestion of Prosper Mérimée, erstwhile inspector-general of the French Commission for Historic Monuments, at the same time as the cloister of the Church of St Trophîme in Arles. Architectural studies have highlighted the close links between the chapel’s architecture and sculpture and the north gallery of the cloister of St Trophîme (circa 1170), as well as the west portal of Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux Cathedral (circa 1180). The chapel can be dated in all likelihood, therefore, to around 1175. The facade of the chapel has a rather complex structure: a first portal, topped by a carved tympanum, forms an integral part of a second portal surmounted by a classical-style triangular pediment. This double portal is housed beneath a huge semicircular discharging arch, which is itself topped by an oculus surrounded by the tetramorph and lodged under a pointed arch. The church facade is rich in decoration inspired by antiquity with columns surmounted by acanthus-leaf capitals. St Gabriel also boasts purely Romanesque carved decorative work, such as the tympanum on the first portal depicting Daniel in the lions’ den (on the left), and Adam and Eve next to the tree of knowledge of good and evil surrounded by the snake (on the right). On entering the chapel, the light and wealth of decoration on the portal give way to shadow and simplicity. A single rectangular nave is divided into three barrel-vaulted bays separated by twin-projecting transverse arches supported by abutments to floor-level. In Roman times the site was situated at the intersection of two major branches of the mythical route travelled by Hercules. One of these roads, the Via Domitia, followed the river Durance, crossing it at Cavaillon to the north of the Alpilles before passing through Glanum (Saint-Rémy-de-Provence) and Ernaginum. The other road, which came from the coast over the plain of La Crau, also served as the northern branch of the Via Aurelia from Aix-en-Provence, coming to an end at St Gabriel next to a large area of marshland. A third road connected Avignon and Arles. The route here was so marshy that utricularii (‘raft masters’) were needed to help people and goods across, with the result that the site became an important settlement in antiquity. The community declined, however, as the marshes gradually began to dry out. Chapel of St Gabriel This 12th-century chapel is one of the finest examples of Provençal Romanesque art inspired by antiquity. It was included in the first-ever list of French Historic Monuments at the suggestion of Prosper Mérimée, erstwhile inspector-general of the French Commission for Historic Monuments, at the same time as the cloister of the Church of St Trophîme in Arles. Architectural studies have highlighted the close links between the chapel’s architecture and sculpture and the north gallery of the cloister of St Trophîme (circa 1170), as well as the west portal of Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux Cathedral (circa 1180). The chapel can be dated in all likelihood, therefore, to around 1175. The facade of the chapel has a rather complex structure: a first portal, topped by a carved tympanum, forms an integral part of a second portal surmounted by a classical-style triangular pediment. This double portal is housed beneath a huge semicircular discharging arch, which is itself topped by an oculus surrounded by the tetramorph and lodged under a pointed arch. The church facade is rich in decoration inspired by antiquity with columns surmounted by acanthus-leaf capitals. St Gabriel also boasts purely Romanesque carved decorative work, such as the tympanum on the first portal depicting Daniel in the lions’ den (on the left), and Adam and Eve next to the tree of knowledge of good and evil surrounded by the snake (on the right). On entering the chapel, the light and wealth of decoration on the portal give way to shadow and simplicity. A single rectangular nave is divided into three barrel-vaulted bays separated by twin-projecting transverse arches supported by abutments to floor-level. In Roman times the site was situated at the intersection of two major branches of the mythical route travelled by Hercules. One of these roads, the Via Domitia, followed the river Durance, crossing it at Cavaillon to the north of the Alpilles before passing through Glanum (Saint-Rémy-de-Provence) and Ernaginum. The other road, which came from the coast over the plain of La Crau, also served as the northern branch of the Via Aurelia from Aix-en-Provence, coming to an end at St Gabriel next to a large area of marshland. A third road connected Avignon and Arles. The route here was so marshy that utricularii (‘raft masters’) were needed to help people and goods across, with the result that the site became an important settlement in antiquity. The community declined, however, as the marshes gradually began to dry out. Chapel of St Gabriel This 12th-century chapel is one of the finest examples of Provençal Romanesque art inspired by antiquity. It was included in the first-ever list of French Historic Monuments at the suggestion of Prosper Mérimée, erstwhile inspector-general of the French Commission for Historic Monuments, at the same time as the cloister of the Church of St Trophîme in Arles. Architectural studies have highlighted the close links between the chapel’s architecture and sculpture and the north gallery of the cloister of St Trophîme (circa 1170), as well as the west portal of Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux Cathedral (circa 1180). The chapel can be dated in all likelihood, therefore, to around 1175. The facade of the chapel has a rather complex structure: a first portal, topped by a carved tympanum, forms an integral part of a second portal surmounted by a classical-style triangular pediment. This double portal is housed beneath a huge semicircular discharging arch, which is itself topped by an oculus surrounded by the tetramorph and lodged under a pointed arch. The church facade is rich in decoration inspired by antiquity with columns surmounted by acanthus-leaf capitals. St Gabriel also boasts purely Romanesque carved decorative work, such as the tympanum on the first portal depicting Daniel in the lions’ den (on the left), and Adam and Eve next to the tree of knowledge of good and evil surrounded by the snake (on the right). On entering the chapel, the light and wealth of decoration on the portal give way to shadow and simplicity. A single rectangular nave is divided into three barrel-vaulted bays separated by twin-projecting transverse arches supported by abutments to floor-level. In Roman times the site was situated at the intersection of two major branches of the mythical route travelled by Hercules. One of these roads, the Via Domitia, followed the river Durance, crossing it at Cavaillon to the north of the Alpilles before passing through Glanum (Saint-Rémy-de-Provence) and Ernaginum. The other road, which came from the coast over the plain of La Crau, also served as the northern branch of the Via Aurelia from Aix-en-Provence, coming to an end at St Gabriel next to a large area of marshland. A third road connected Avignon and Arles. The route here was so marshy that utricularii (‘raft masters’) were needed to help people and goods across, with the result that the site became an important settlement in antiquity. The community declined, however, as the marshes gradually began to dry out. Chapel of St Gabriel This 12th-century chapel is one of the finest examples of Provençal Romanesque art inspired by antiquity. It was included in the first-ever list of French Historic Monuments at the suggestion of Prosper Mérimée, erstwhile inspector-general of the French Commission for Historic Monuments, at the same time as the cloister of the Church of St Trophîme in Arles. Architectural studies have highlighted the close links between the chapel’s architecture and sculpture and the north gallery of the cloister of St Trophîme (circa 1170), as well as the west portal of Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux Cathedral (circa 1180). The chapel can be dated in all likelihood, therefore, to around 1175. The facade of the chapel has a rather complex structure: a first portal, topped by a carved tympanum, forms an integral part of a second portal surmounted by a classical-style triangular pediment. This double portal is housed beneath a huge semicircular discharging arch, which is itself topped by an oculus surrounded by the tetramorph and lodged under a pointed arch. The church facade is rich in decoration inspired by antiquity with columns surmounted by acanthus-leaf capitals. St Gabriel also boasts purely Romanesque carved decorative work, such as the tympanum on the first portal depicting Daniel in the lions’ den (on the left), and Adam and Eve next to the tree of knowledge of good and evil surrounded by the snake (on the right). On entering the chapel, the light and wealth of decoration on the portal give way to shadow and simplicity. A single rectangular nave is divided into three barrel-vaulted bays separated by twin-projecting transverse arches supported by abutments to floor-level. In Roman times the site was situated at the intersection of two major branches of the mythical route travelled by Hercules. One of these roads, the Via Domitia, followed the river Durance, crossing it at Cavaillon to the north of the Alpilles before passing through Glanum (Saint-Rémy-de-Provence) and Ernaginum. The other road, which came from the coast over the plain of La Crau, also served as the northern branch of the Via Aurelia from Aix-en-Provence, coming to an end at St Gabriel next to a large area of marshland. A third road connected Avignon and Arles. The route here was so marshy that utricularii (‘raft masters’) were needed to help people and goods across, with the result that the site became an important settlement in antiquity. The community declined, however, as the marshes gradually began to dry out. Chapel of St Gabriel This 12th-century chapel is one of the finest examples of Provençal Romanesque art inspired by antiquity. It was included in the first-ever list of French Historic Monuments at the suggestion of Prosper Mérimée, erstwhile inspector-general of the French Commission for Historic Monuments, at the same time as the cloister of the Church of St Trophîme in Arles. Architectural studies have highlighted the close links between the chapel’s architecture and sculpture and the north gallery of the cloister of St Trophîme (circa 1170), as well as the west portal of Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux Cathedral (circa 1180). The chapel can be dated in all likelihood, therefore, to around 1175. The facade of the chapel has a rather complex structure: a first portal, topped by a carved tympanum, forms an integral part of a second portal surmounted by a classical-style triangular pediment. This double portal is housed beneath a huge semicircular discharging arch, which is itself topped by an oculus surrounded by the tetramorph and lodged under a pointed arch. The church facade is rich in decoration inspired by antiquity with columns surmounted by acanthus-leaf capitals. St Gabriel also boasts purely Romanesque carved decorative work, such as the tympanum on the first portal depicting Daniel in the lions’ den (on the left), and Adam and Eve next to the tree of knowledge of good and evil surrounded by the snake (on the right). On entering the chapel, the light and wealth of decoration on the portal give way to shadow and simplicity. A single rectangular nave is divided into three barrel-vaulted bays separated by twin-projecting transverse arches supported by abutments to floor-level. In Roman times the site was situated at the intersection of two major branches of the mythical route travelled by Hercules. One of these roads, the Via Domitia, followed the river Durance, crossing it at Cavaillon to the north of the Alpilles before passing through Glanum (Saint-Rémy-de-Provence) and Ernaginum. The other road, which came from the coast over the plain of La Crau, also served as the northern branch of the Via Aurelia from Aix-en-Provence, coming to an end at St Gabriel next to a large area of marshland. A third road connected Avignon and Arles. The route here was so marshy that utricularii (‘raft masters’) were needed to help people and goods across, with the result that the site became an important settlement in antiquity. The community declined, however, as the marshes gradually began to dry out. Chapel of St Gabriel This 12th-century chapel is one of the finest examples of Provençal Romanesque art inspired by antiquity. It was included in the first-ever list of French Historic Monuments at the suggestion of Prosper Mérimée, erstwhile inspector-general of the French Commission for Historic Monuments, at the same time as the cloister of the Church of St Trophîme in Arles. Architectural studies have highlighted the close links between the chapel’s architecture and sculpture and the north gallery of the cloister of St Trophîme (circa 1170), as well as the west portal of Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux Cathedral (circa 1180). The chapel can be dated in all likelihood, therefore, to around 1175. The facade of the chapel has a rather complex structure: a first portal, topped by a carved tympanum, forms an integral part of a second portal surmounted by a classical-style triangular pediment. This double portal is housed beneath a huge semicircular discharging arch, which is itself topped by an oculus surrounded by the tetramorph and lodged under a pointed arch. The church facade is rich in decoration inspired by antiquity with columns surmounted by acanthus-leaf capitals. St Gabriel also boasts purely Romanesque carved decorative work, such as the tympanum on the first portal depicting Daniel in the lions’ den (on the left), and Adam and Eve next to the tree of knowledge of good and evil surrounded by the snake (on the right). On entering the chapel, the light and wealth of decoration on the portal give way to shadow and simplicity. A single rectangular nave is divided into three barrel-vaulted bays separated by twin-projecting transverse arches supported by abutments to floor-level. In Roman times the site was situated at the intersection of two major branches of the mythical route travelled by Hercules. One of these roads, the Via Domitia, followed the river Durance, crossing it at Cavaillon to the north of the Alpilles before passing through Glanum (Saint-Rémy-de-Provence) and Ernaginum. The other road, which came from the coast over the plain of La Crau, also served as the northern branch of the Via Aurelia from Aix-en-Provence, coming to an end at St Gabriel next to a large area of marshland. A third road connected Avignon and Arles. The route here was so marshy that utricularii (‘raft masters’) were needed to help people and goods across, with the result that the site became an important settlement in antiquity. The community declined, however, as the marshes gradually began to dry out. Chapel of St Gabriel This 12th-century chapel is one of the finest examples of Provençal Romanesque art inspired by antiquity. It was included in the first-ever list of French Historic Monuments at the suggestion of Prosper Mérimée, erstwhile inspector-general of the French Commission for Historic Monuments, at the same time as the cloister of the Church of St Trophîme in Arles. Architectural studies have highlighted the close links between the chapel’s architecture and sculpture and the north gallery of the cloister of St Trophîme (circa 1170), as well as the west portal of Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux Cathedral (circa 1180). The chapel can be dated in all likelihood, therefore, to around 1175. The facade of the chapel has a rather complex structure: a first portal, topped by a carved tympanum, forms an integral part of a second portal surmounted by a classical-style triangular pediment. This double portal is housed beneath a huge semicircular discharging arch, which is itself topped by an oculus surrounded by the tetramorph and lodged under a pointed arch. The church facade is rich in decoration inspired by antiquity with columns surmounted by acanthus-leaf capitals. St Gabriel also boasts purely Romanesque carved decorative work, such as the tympanum on the first portal depicting Daniel in the lions’ den (on the left), and Adam and Eve next to the tree of knowledge of good and evil surrounded by the snake (on the right). On entering the chapel, the light and wealth of decoration on the portal give way to shadow and simplicity. A single rectangular nave is divided into three barrel-vaulted bays separated by twin-projecting transverse arches supported by abutments to floor-level. In Roman times the site was situated at the intersection of two major branches of the mythical route travelled by Hercules. One of these roads, the Via Domitia, followed the river Durance, crossing it at Cavaillon to the north of the Alpilles before passing through Glanum (Saint-Rémy-de-Provence) and Ernaginum. The other road, which came from the coast over the plain of La Crau, also served as the northern branch of the Via Aurelia from Aix-en-Provence, coming to an end at St Gabriel next to a large area of marshland. A third road connected Avignon and Arles. The route here was so marshy that utricularii (‘raft masters’) were needed to help people and goods across, with the result that the site became an important settlement in antiquity. The community declined, however, as the marshes gradually began to dry out. Chapel of St Gabriel This 12th-century chapel is one of the finest examples of Provençal Romanesque art inspired by antiquity. It was included in the first-ever list of French Historic Monuments at the suggestion of Prosper Mérimée, erstwhile inspector-general of the French Commission for Historic Monuments, at the same time as the cloister of the Church of St Trophîme in Arles. Architectural studies have highlighted the close links between the chapel’s architecture and sculpture and the north gallery of the cloister of St Trophîme (circa 1170), as well as the west portal of Saint-Paul-Trois-Châteaux Cathedral (circa 1180). The chapel can be dated in all likelihood, therefore, to around 1175. The facade of the chapel has a rather complex structure: a first portal, topped by a carved tympanum, forms an integral part of a second portal surmounted by a classical-style triangular pediment. This double portal is housed beneath a huge semicircular discharging arch, which is itself topped by an oculus surrounded by the tetramorph and lodged under a pointed arch. The church facade is rich in decoration inspired by antiquity with columns surmounted by acanthus-leaf capitals. St Gabriel also boasts purely Romanesque carved decorative work, such as the tympanum on the first portal depicting Daniel in the lions’ den (on the left), and Adam and Eve next to the tree of knowledge of good and evil surrounded by the snake (on the right). On entering the chapel, the light and wealth of decoration on the portal give way to shadow and simplicity. A single rectangular nave is divided into three barrel-vaulted bays separated by twin-projecting transverse arches supported by abutments to floor-level. In Roman times the site was situated at the intersection of two major branches of the mythical route travelled by Hercules. One of these roads, the Via Domitia, followed the river Durance, crossing it at Cavaillon to the north of the Alpilles before passing through Glanum (Saint-Rémy-de-Provence) and Ernaginum. The other road, which came from the coast over the plain of La Crau, also served as the northern branch of the Via Aurelia from Aix-en-Provence, coming to an end at St Gabriel next to a large area of marshland. A third road connected Avignon and Arles. The route here was so marshy that utricularii (‘raft masters’) were needed to help people and goods across, with the result that the site became an important settlement in antiquity. The community declined, however, as the marshes gradually began to dry out.


      informations pratiques

      Informations tarif

      free

      Avis (0)

      Avis


      Il n’y pas encore d’avis.

      Be the first to review “Saint Gabriel de Tarascon Chapel”