• Les garanties PROVENCEPASS :
  • Les meilleures
    attractions de Provence

    Visites, loisirs, sorties
  • Prix en ligne
    le plus bas

    Meilleure offre Internet !
  • Réservation simple
    et rapide de tickets

    Paiements sécurisés

    Avignon

    Saint Martial Temple

    Catégorie : Étiquette :

    Adresse

    Adresse

    2 Rue Jean Henri Fabre

    Ville

    Avignon

    Code postal

    84000

    Geolocalisation


    Description

    Op deze plaats bezat koningin Johanna van Napels, de gravin van de Provence, een paleis waar in 1348 de verkoopakte werd getekend waarbij Avignon aan Clemens VI werd overgedragen. De bouw van het paleis begon in 1346 op bevel van seneschalk Hugues IV van Les Beaux, maar de vorstin maakte er slechts één keer gebruik van, namelijk toen ze naar Avignon kwam in 1348, midden in de pestepidemie die bekend staat onder de naam de Zwarte Dood. In 1363 schonk paus Urbanus V het aan de benedictijnen van Cluny. In 1373 stichtte kardinaal Pierre de Cros er een priorij-college op onder de naam Saint Martial. De kardinalen die deze kloosters stichtten, vestigen de legitimiteit van de Franse antipaus Clemens VII in Avignon door de bouw van “een kerk in flamboyante gotische stijl waar elegantie en licht hoogtij vieren en met een voorgevel waarin de blazoenen van de kardinalen verwerkt zijn. Kardinaal Jean de Lagrange liet in de koornis zijn monumentale graf optrekken van 15 meter hoog. Een cenotaaf of lege graftombe van de zaligverklaarde Urbanus V werd opgericht ter nagedachtenis van de paus. In 1700 ondernam Pierre II Mignard de heropbouw van de grote toegangspoort en van de kloostergebouwen. Nadat de kerk werd verwoest tijdens de Revolutie, werd er in de XXᵉ eeuw het eerste stadsmuseum in ondergebracht, het museum voor Natuurgeschiedenis. In 1866 gaf conservator Jean-Henri Fabre, die onderwijzer was, avondlessen plantkunde aan leergierige landbouwers, maar ook aan zeer onderlegde belangrijke persoonlijkheden, zoals de uitgever Joseph Roumanille en de directeur van de Verenigde Oost-Indische Compagnie John Stuart Mill (1806-1873). Het paleis van de koningin werd aangetast door de aanleg van de cours Jean-Jaurès. De kerk werd een tempel voor de diensten van de Franse protestantse kerk. De Square Agricol Perdigiuier geeft de ligging aan van de voormalige kloostergebouwen.


    informations pratiques

    Informations tarif

    gratis

    Avis (0)

    Avis


    Il n’y pas encore d’avis.

    Be the first to review “Saint Martial Temple”


      Avignon

      Saint Martial Temple

      Catégorie : Étiquette :

      Adresse

      Adresse

      2 Rue Jean Henri Fabre

      Ville

      Avignon

      Code postal

      84000

      Geolocalisation


      Description

      Queen Joanna of Naples, Countess of Provence, once owned a palace on this site, and it was here that the town of Avignon was signed over to Clement VI in 1348. Construction of the church began in 1346 on the orders of Lord Hugues IV of Baux, although it served the sovereign on only one occasion, when he came to Avignon in 1348 in the midst of an outbreak of plague. The property was given to the Benedictines of Cluny in 1363 by Urban V. Cardinal Pierre de Cros established a priory and college here in 1373 by the name of St Martial. The cardinals who founded these monasteries asserted the legitimacy of the French Antipope Clement VII in Avignon by building a church in the flamboyant Gothic style, which is distinguished above all by its elegance, light and the cardinals’ coats of arms of carved into the facades. Cardinal Jean de Lagrange built his own monumental tomb (over 15 metres high) in the apse. A cenotaph was erected in memory of Pope Blessed Urban V (the tomb is empty). Pierre II Mignard rebuilt the great portal and convent buildings in 1700. The property, which was ruined during the Revolution, was home to Avignon’s first museum, the Natural History Museum, in the 20th century. In 1866 the curator and lecturer Jean-Henri Fabre gave evening classes in botany not just to farmers but also to highly-cultured figures, such as the director of the East India Company, John Stuart Mill (1806-1873), and the editor Joseph Roumanille. The queen’s palace was disfigured by the opening up of the Cours Jean Jaurès. The church became a place of worship for the Reformed Church of France. Agricol Perdiguier Square marks the site of the old buildings of the cloister. Queen Joanna of Naples, Countess of Provence, once owned a palace on this site, and it was here that the town of Avignon was signed over to Clement VI in 1348. Construction of the church began in 1346 on the orders of Lord Hugues IV of Baux, although it served the sovereign on only one occasion, when he came to Avignon in 1348 in the midst of an outbreak of plague. The property was given to the Benedictines of Cluny in 1363 by Urban V. Cardinal Pierre de Cros established a priory and college here in 1373 by the name of St Martial. The cardinals who founded these monasteries asserted the legitimacy of the French Antipope Clement VII in Avignon by building a church in the flamboyant Gothic style, which is distinguished above all by its elegance, light and the cardinals’ coats of arms of carved into the facades. Cardinal Jean de Lagrange built his own monumental tomb (over 15 metres high) in the apse. A cenotaph was erected in memory of Pope Blessed Urban V (the tomb is empty). Pierre II Mignard rebuilt the great portal and convent buildings in 1700. The property, which was ruined during the Revolution, was home to Avignon’s first museum, the Natural History Museum, in the 20th century. In 1866 the curator and lecturer Jean-Henri Fabre gave evening classes in botany not just to farmers but also to highly-cultured figures, such as the director of the East India Company, John Stuart Mill (1806-1873), and the editor Joseph Roumanille. The queen’s palace was disfigured by the opening up of the Cours Jean Jaurès. The church became a place of worship for the Reformed Church of France. Agricol Perdiguier Square marks the site of the old buildings of the cloister.


      informations pratiques

      Informations tarif

      free

      Avis (0)

      Avis


      Il n’y pas encore d’avis.

      Be the first to review “Saint Martial Temple”